Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_mathew34

Struggling with Paint Decisions

J Matthew
11 days ago

Hi, thank you for reading my post!

I’m hoping for some help with paint color choices. I’m really struggling to find what will look nice for this late 1970's house. I would like to make the exterior of the house more modern. I also want to make sure it's a color that would have a wider appeal...in case we ever sell the house. I know I need to complement the tan brick, but it's hard (Note: I don’t want to paint the brick). I am open to staining the cedar, but it would need to be the same color or darker (we cannot afford to change the cedar right now).

I’ve attached some pics of the color choices we’ve went through so far and noted them on the picture itself...that said, none of them have really excited us. I’m interested in anyone's thoughts on the selected colors (if you like it and especially also if you hate it) or if you have other Sherwin Williams color suggestions I should try. I included the color of the house today (i typed original above the picture...i do not know the original color).

If it helps, I’ve tried to match the colors of things that aren’t changing in my house to Sherwin Williams colors. They are:

Front Door: Stillwater

Brick: Smoky beige, portabello, rookwood brown (each brick has a slightly different shade in the tan brick family...some are lighter/darker...so each of these colors are represented)

Current paint colors: Homburg gray or perle noir

Stained cedar: Java or rugged brown

Roof: I couldn't easily color match this, but it's kind of a light to medium brown

Thank you again!

Original:

If you need to see the backside of the house, here it is (all the trim, siding, soffit and fascia will be repainted in the back as well):

Comments (18)

• Yvonne Martin
    11 days ago

smokey beige

• Robin C
    11 days ago

I agree that Smokey Beige looks good.

• houssaon
    11 days ago

Here is the third vote for Smokey Beige.

I would move any bush or grass that is in front of the windows to another location.

• J Matthew
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you! Would you recommend that i leave the stained cedar the same color or make it darker with smoky beige? Someone had told me that if I do smoky beige, I should do the stained cedar in an ebony stain?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Sorry but I hate all the blue greys with the wood and brick. I would paint all the trim a very dark brown like black fox or urbane bronze (edited). I would then stain the cedar darker (less orange).

• J Matthew
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Thank you so much! Of the colors shown above, we slightly favored Urbane Bronze (assume you meant Urbane Bronze and not grey?) because we liked the contrast, however we weren't sure it would look good. Smoky Beige is growing on us, but we felt initially and even now that it was kind of plain, but again if others that are better at this than us thought this and especially if it would help resale down the road we were considering going with Smoky Beige.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    11 days ago

I am not a fan of mixing grays and tans either. Seems to go against everything I learned about color in art class. Plus the grays were so trendy in the 20-teens I think everyone is sick of them.

Smoky beige.

• J Matthew
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you! Curiosity question, if i went with smoky beige, what tone/color should i stain the stained cedar? It's kind of a medium brown right now (closest sherwin williams color match was java, but it varies in shade). Should I also go darker? If so is there a color I should aim for? Thank you!

• Jennz9b
    11 days ago

Turkish coffee looks best.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 days ago

Jasper Stone or similar green/grayed tone is perfect. Works with brick, roofing and natural landscape items. Get samples of SW Hawthorne semi transparent stain for wood portions. Then see what you think. It’s an interesting house and these colors would work quite well. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 days ago

I added another option for trim. SW Underseas. It’s a bit stronger color. My reason is on exteriors with strong light, I usually go one step deeper so the sun doesn’t wash out the color. Also, I have used SW Hawthorne and it’s more brown neutral than the picture shows. Great color. Here’s little idea board.

• chloebud
    11 days ago

Agree with Jasper Stone

• RedRyder
    11 days ago

Urbane Bronze and Turkish Coffee look great for the trim. I would try to keep the other colors as long as possible. Re-staining is a pain and your house is pretty as is. If it really needs restaining, stay in the same color family.
    C

• cat_ky
    11 days ago

I like the smokey beige with your roofing, and I dont mind the color of the cedar right now, but, if you must do something with it, go darker.

• glschisler
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Our brick is similar to yours and we painted the shutters SW URBANE BRONZE and love the results.

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

The Turkish coffee is the most striking contrast ….and draws attention to the interesting architectural lines of your home..the tone is more crisp than the bronze

• ci_lantro
    9 days ago

Agree with Flo...a more saturated version of Jasper Stone.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    8 days ago

Turkish Coffee by far. For the same reasons btydrvn noted.